The Penn Women’s Center stands with Penn Green Campus partnership as they create a greener and more sustainable environment through its research, teaching, and operational practices. Penn is dedicated to promoting a sustainable culture and implementing environmentally-conscious policies. For more information, please visit the Penn Green Campus Partnership Site.
We are proud to announce that the Penn Women’s Center was awarded Penn’s top honor as a Level 4 Certified Green Office Space! This designation was due in part to our innovative Penn Environmental Education Kitchen (PEEK). This space includes multiple environmentally-friendly components:
- high efficiency refrigerator and dishwasher
- high efficiency induction stovetop
- low-energy lighting
- low-VOC eco-paint
- rainwater harvesting and filtering (used for the garden and to flush PWC toilet)
- in-sink filtered drinking water (no more plastic bottles!)
- a worm composter and countertop composting
- recycled plastic tableware
- a sustainable cork floor
- recycled silverware
- tea kettle and selection of loose leaf teas
- coffeemaker and organic, free trade coffees
- cabinets and knobs from salvaged wood
- counter tops made from old barn rafters
- herb shelves
- great books about seasonal, local, and organic eating, the politics of food, and sustainable eating
- a selection of green cookbooks
- a state-of-the-art juicer used for healthy study breaks
PEEK is a great place to cook, hang out, and organize events and we welcome everyone in the Penn community to come and enjoy this innovative green space!
Penn Environmental Education Kitchen Instructional Videos
Composting at PEEK
Learn how to compost in the Penn Women’s Center’s Environmental Education Kitchen!
Using the PEEK Juicer
Learn how to assemble, use, and clean the state of the art juicer at the Penn Women’s Center’s Environmental Education Kitchen!
Using the PEEK Ice-Cream Maker
Learn how to use the ice cream machine at the Penn Women’s Center’s Environmental Education Kitchen!
Using the PEEK Induction Stovetop
Learn how to use the state of the art induction stovetop at the Penn Women’s Center’s Environmental Education Kitchen!
Cleaning up at PEEK
Help us keep the kitchen clean and beautiful for other users by following these simple tips
Using the PEEK BBQ
Learn how to use the Penn Women’s Center barbecue before your next garden event!